Director writing ‘horror‘ film about Weinstein

Hollywood director Brian De Palma is writing a “horror film” script based on the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

US director and producer Brian De Palma. Photo: AFP

De Palma, 77, who directed Scarface was following the Mr Weinstein‘s case “very closely”.

after His lawyer said he denied the charges.

Mr De Palma said he knew “a lot” of people involved.

“I‘ve heard stories over the years.”

Directors had to “get actors‘ confidence and their love” and “to violate it on any level is just to me the worst thing you can do, just because of your gluttony or your lust”, he said.

A large number of women have come forward with allegations of sexual harassed against Mr Weinstein.

The charges relate to incidents involving two women: One identified by her lawyer as the former actress Lucia Evans, the other unnamed.

These are the first criminal charges to be brought against Mr Weinstein. He could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted of rape or a criminal sex act.

Harvey Weinstein turns himself in to the New York Police Department‘s First Precinct after being served with criminal charges by the Manhattan District Attorney‘s office on May 25, 2018 in New York City. Photo: AFP

‘Horror film with a sexual aggressor‘

De Palma said the script, which he had been discussed with a French producer, would aim to tackle such abuse in the industry, but Mr Weinstein‘s name would not be used.

“But it is a horror film, with a sexual aggressor, and the story will take place within the film industry,” he told French newspaper Le Parisien.

De Palma also said that the #MeToo movement, the campaign against sexual harassment and abuse, could fundamentally change the subjects of movies and how they were produced.

“It will be interesting to see when women start controlling the aesthetic, what is going to happen.

“It would be interesting to see if their gaze is so much different than ours. Because a lot of movies are about the male gaze, what the male sees.”

Leave a Comment